Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

A LITTLE THIS, A LITTLE OF THAT DAY

Well June is here along with all the June bugs.  I was outside today and goodness at the skiters and whatever that is that was flying around.  No thank you , I will stay inside with the Ac on. 

I decided to bake a Johnny Cake.  Do you know what that is?  Why it is Cornbread
Of course I do mine in the old iron skillet just like my grand mother and mom did.  Can't beat it. 
I thiink I have a recipe for this:


Here's the recipe:



1 egg

1/3 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

3/4 cup flour

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. salt

2 cups cornmeal


Cream egg, shortening, sugar. Add milk and stir. Add flour, baking powder and salt, then add cornmeal. Bake at 300F until brown (usually around 45-50 minutes).
Now, go bake yourself and fix a big pot of beans to go with it.  Good ole southern cooking.

No comments: